The police are not well known for their marketing skills, but almost all law enforcement agencies endorse Operation ID (U.S. and Canada) and proxy marking (U.K. and Ireland).
Because residential burglary (breaking into a domicile) and residential theft (breaking into an outbuilding) are by far-and-away the most common crimes, the police recommend a three-part strategy to secure valuables.
• Mark property with a unique identification number.
• Record the make model and serial numbers
• Post warning signs on doors and windows
Here are some videos from police departments in Minnesota, Texas and England that explain the strategy.
• Minneapolis, Minn. U.S.: https://youtu.be/LkXegE2zFDQ
• Plano, Texas U.S.: https://youtu.be/yxnBJWbQMkw
• Victoria, Texas U.S.: https://youtu.be/bx8EWkiksvU
• Manchester, England U.K.: https://youtu.be/LeWNjiNQkDI
MyPropertyID is the state of the art: https://youtu.be/F01KTEDt98M