There is a social movement afoot where more and more people are moving away from intrusive, “smart” technologies, and moving closer to clever technologies that provide users with an acceptable level of service at a much lower price.
Dumbphones Are Making a Comeback
According to this article in the BBC, more and more teens are plagued by the intrusiveness of smartphones. As a result, “dumbphones,” with minimal capabilities such as calls and text, are making a comeback.
Low Tech Magazine
There’s even a publication called Low Tech Magazine that “underscores the potential of past and often forgotten technologies….”
“Smart” Means Expensive
Smart technology companies make money in three ways.
- Because your smart tech is linked to the internet, the company learns things about you that they can sell to marketing companies
- Most smart technology companies charge a monthly subscription
- The initial cost is high because of fragile electronics that tie the product to the internet
My Property ID Registry uses a combination of old technologies in new ways. There is just one, low cost for our product with no recuring fees. There is no additional charge for shipping and our product works worldwide.
- The 120-year-old technology of license plates
- The 60-year-old technology of Operation Identification
- The 35-year-old technology of email